Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check engine light on my 2002 Jeep Liberty won't go away?
10-22-2010, 01:19 AM
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The check engine light comes on a couple days after reset. I took it to multiple places and they hooked the computer to it and it points to the gas cap. Replaced the gas cap 3 times and nothing. I went 1 last time to auto zone and there computer said vacuum leak. Where do I begin to look?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
vacuum leaks are under the hood. look for small rubber hoses that are cracked or unattached. also the computer should give you a code and u can look it up on the internet. example: po302
Well, the brand is Jeep so that's trouble to begin with. Personally, I would be tempted to spend a few dollars to get my own OBDII reader and do the diagnostics myself. Resetting will do nothing to eliminate the problem, so you need to really get to the bottom of this thing - either yourself or a decent mechanic. If it comes to that, check out the car talk web site. They have a link to 'find a good mechanic' - enter your zip code and see what real people say about mechanics in your area. Generally - for cost reasons - I'd avoid the dealerships unless it's a warranty item.
When a check engine light comes on in a 2002 Jeep Liberty, it means the engine has been flooded and lined with green fizz ooze from the engines core. Please get it checked by a repairman right away.
10-22-2010, 01:20 AM
The code for a small vacuum leak is often caused by a bad seal on the fuel filler cap. It may just mean there is a small vacuum leak on one of the pipes in the engine bay you'd have to inspect the pipes carefull looking for an signs of cracks or loose fittings.

You do not need a code reader to get the codes yourself. The Jeep will show the trouble codes in the dash. Follow the link...

http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.